I am participating in the Fearless Females theme for National Women's History Month.
The female ancestor who got me the most interested in my family tree was my great great grandmother, Johanna Yates MURCH (4 February 1844-17 December 1875). Before I knew much about her, I imagined her as having lived to a 'ripe old age' (as they say). Imagine my shock when I found out that she actually died when she was only 31. She had just given birth to her third baby, and died when he was nine days old. The cause of death on her death certificate was: "Confined 8 days, gastritis 3 days, diarrhoea, exhaustion." Now, I am single and have never had a child, but even I winced when I heard of her last few days of life.
She has given me more reason to participate in 'Scanfest' at the end of the month; I have her death certificate and need to scan it to put it here!
She was also the last MURCH in my family (unless you count my father's middle name). All the MURCHes were Protestant Dissenters of some sort, and Johanna got married in the local Congregationalist meeting house. This also makes me love her specially, as her family was obviously looking for something, and although the HAYWOODs she married into do not seem a particularly religious lot, I feel as though she and I have something in common: a searching for the truth. And I maintain that I have found it.
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- Fearless Females: Emma Elizabeth Dunstone AVERY - ...
- Fearless Females: The Brickwall Belles
- Fearless Females: Thomasine Dunstone AVERY in six ...
- 1700 census Ottery St Mary
- My First Award
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD outside the ...
- Fearless Females: Generations of religious women i...
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD's Boiled Cak...
- Fearless Females: Elsie Beatrice BLAGDON
- 1841 census: I've started!
- Fearless Females: Scanning for Girls
- Fearless Females: Rosamund and Loveday
- Fearless Females: Minda Mary Edgcombe BALL
- Fearless Females: Johanna Yates MURCH
- ▼ March (14)
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.