Well, I finally received the photocopies from the Devon Record Office of the 1700 census for Ottery St Mary, Devon. They had already told me that there would be 4 pages, so I thought to myself, "Huh! I can do that easily - it'll take no time at all!" That was until I got the photocopies.
The pages are written in a beautiful antique hand that I am not allowed to post online until I get permission from the local incumbent. Some of the names are easily readable, such as 'John Mills' or 'William Taylor', but others will take a lot of studying - and, oh, I am going to have to work through the National Archives tutorials on palaeography. Oh-dear-how-sad. Can't you just see me rubbing my hands in glee? *huge grin*
From a vague guess, it looks as though the only people who are listed are heads of households and widows. No children. Not even 'John Bloggs, 1 wife, 6 children, 4 pigs, 2 cows...'. Just 'John Bloggs'. But I have already found my great great great great great great great grandfather, Walter Bastyn.
This looks exciting! And as soon as I get church permission, I will post a snatch of the handwriting on this blog.
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Following on from last week's "Motivation Monday" post about NOT using the scattergun approach, today's "Tuesday'...
Post a photo of one of your female ancestors. Who is in the photo? When was it taken? Why did you select this photo? This is one of tho...
Imagine you are a lowly servant in a mediaeval palace, castle, or manor house. Christmas is coming - but during the twelve days of Christma...
This has to be my favourite address in my family history. Yonder Street, Ottery St Mary, Devon, England was where my MURCH ancestors ...
Zachariah HELLIER is the latest addition to my family tree. Well, I say 'addition' - he was born in around 1790, and married my pat...
- ► 2015 (28)
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- Fearless Females: Emma Elizabeth Dunstone AVERY - ...
- Fearless Females: The Brickwall Belles
- Fearless Females: Thomasine Dunstone AVERY in six ...
- 1700 census Ottery St Mary
- My First Award
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD outside the ...
- Fearless Females: Generations of religious women i...
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD's Boiled Cak...
- Fearless Females: Elsie Beatrice BLAGDON
- 1841 census: I've started!
- Fearless Females: Scanning for Girls
- Fearless Females: Rosamund and Loveday
- Fearless Females: Minda Mary Edgcombe BALL
- Fearless Females: Johanna Yates MURCH
- ▼ March (14)