I find traditional Christmas fruit cake far too stodgy. Here is Audrey Ball HAYWOOD (my mother)'s recipe for boiled cake (where you boil the ingredients before making the cake), which is much lighter.
1/2 pint milk
6 oz marge
6 oz sugar
10 oz mixed fruit
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon bicarb
10 oz self-raising flour
Place all ingredients, except bicarb, flour and eggs, into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes. Add bicarb while still hot, mix well, and leave to cool. Add flour and beaten eggs. Cook for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees or Reg 4.
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Once again, in honour of National Women’s History Month , Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blog...
I looked through my genealogy software to find out what my ancestors were doing on 24 December. Robert MURCH and Elizabeth BASTONE (my gre...
Try searching for this on the internet, and you will be swamped with links to children's tales, pictures of the Easter bunny, how to mak...
Day 3 of this Challenge, and a reply to my forum query has produced startling results. There were plenty of helpful suggestions on writing ...
My family tree software rather unromantically calls him "Husband of 1st cousin three times removed", which is technically correct,...
- ► 2015 (28)
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- Fearless Females: Emma Elizabeth Dunstone AVERY - ...
- Fearless Females: The Brickwall Belles
- Fearless Females: Thomasine Dunstone AVERY in six ...
- 1700 census Ottery St Mary
- My First Award
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD outside the ...
- Fearless Females: Generations of religious women i...
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD's Boiled Cak...
- Fearless Females: Elsie Beatrice BLAGDON
- 1841 census: I've started!
- Fearless Females: Scanning for Girls
- Fearless Females: Rosamund and Loveday
- Fearless Females: Minda Mary Edgcombe BALL
- Fearless Females: Johanna Yates MURCH
- ▼ March (14)