A brickwall in genealogy usually means that you have looked everywhere, but still can't get any further on in your research into a certain individual. My Brickwall Belles are females in my family tree that have made me stop short in my research - because I don't know where to look in the first place.
It''s not that I have 'looked everywhere' and got stuck. I haven't looked, because I don't know where to go. Each lady seems to have her own distinct difficulties, but the main one is that she has the sort of name which was immensely popular (and therefore which one is she?) such as my great-great-great-grandmother, Mary WEBBER. I have her marriage certificate to James LETHBRIDGE (14 July in East Stonehouse), and on it is her father's name - John (really unusual). Oh, and she is 'of full age'...
Mary's daughter, Mary Ann, married John BLAGDON, whose mother was another Brickwall Belle. Another great-great-great-grandmother: Elizabeth Thomas HALL, born in in Plymouth (Devon), married John BLAGDON on 9 July in Stoke Damerel, and died in , also in Plymouth. But I have no idea of her parents or siblings. At the moment, she is still just a name.
And, unfortunately, there are quite a few more. One thing that this month's blog posts have taught me: I know little or nothing about many of my female ancestors. Time to remedy that, methinks...
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Today's "Way Back Wednesday" post is about my gggg grandparents. All I know about them are their names and the date they marr...
I can dimly remember farthings. They went out of circulation on 31 December 1960, so although I was too tiny to have actually used them, th...
Here is a photo which I inherited. Don't know the people, do know the location - Kingsbridge, Devon UK. Maybe sometime in the 1930s? ...
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- Fearless Females: Emma Elizabeth Dunstone AVERY - ...
- Fearless Females: The Brickwall Belles
- Fearless Females: Thomasine Dunstone AVERY in six ...
- 1700 census Ottery St Mary
- My First Award
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD outside the ...
- Fearless Females: Generations of religious women i...
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD's Boiled Cak...
- Fearless Females: Elsie Beatrice BLAGDON
- 1841 census: I've started!
- Fearless Females: Scanning for Girls
- Fearless Females: Rosamund and Loveday
- Fearless Females: Minda Mary Edgcombe BALL
- Fearless Females: Johanna Yates MURCH
- ▼ March (14)