Saturday 27 April 2013

A-Z Challenge 2013: X is for eXtreme Genealogy

OK, so I cheated a little bit,and today's post is the same one as last year's "X is for..." - because, after all, X is a pretty hard letter!  The original post can be found here, but here it is again:

You've heard of extreme sports? even extreme ironing? so how about extreme genealogy?  The BBC defines Extreme Genealogy as the art and skill of DNA testing:

The firm is the brainchild of the Oxford University geneticist Bryan Sykes, who [several] years ago published research showing that everyone of European extraction could trace their ancestry back to one of seven women who lived 40,000 years ago. Such was the demand from the public to know which of the "seven daughters of Eve" they were descended from, Professor Sykes spotted a business opportunity."

  • Europeans mostly come from one of seven women
  • About half are from Helena, who lived in the Pyrenees 20,000 years ago
  • Among non-Europeans, 29 such clans have been identified
  • These include 12 among those of African origin
  • Four among Native Americans
  • And nine among Japanese

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that. Why didn't they pass on that information when I got my DNA test? I wonder if I could figure it out from my MTdna?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire people who have gone down the DNA route. As for me, I think I will stick with surnames for a while...

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive