Friday 12 April 2013

A-Z Challenge 2013: K is for Knobstick Wedding

Heard of a "shotgun wedding", where a woman got pregnant out of wedlock, so the (supposed) father was forced to marry her? well, here is another version.

The "knobstick wedding" had exactly the same reasons behind it i.e. the reputed father having to marry a
pregnant-out-of-wedlock woman.  The 'knobstick' part is because these were the staves of office of the churchwardens who attended the wedding to make sure it took place.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting. I've not heard this term before. Thanks for sharing.

    Have fun with A to Z!

    Jenny at Choice City Native

    ReplyDelete
  2. The knobsticks sound a bit threatening. Thanks for the knowledge of another word and custom.
    Francene.
    A - Z Challenge
    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I will, Jenny - and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I expect they were meant to be, Francene! I'm sure I would have been scared. Thanks for stopping by - you're welcome, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess the "happy" couple was scared too. What a rotten way to start life together.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive