You may have heard of Mocavo, the great search engine for genealogists. Why is it so special? you ask. I'll tell you. Ever searched for a surname and come up with some *really* unwanted results? For instance, for this month's letter 'J' I wanted to talk about the occupation of Jagger. So I searched for Jagger. Oh dear. Mick came up, and Bianca, and Jade - but also the song by Maroon 5, an article about the Rolling Stones' latest tour, Mick's style of parenting...and on it went.
Mocavo is different. It searches ONLY genealogy sites. It is especially good for North American genealogy sites - but I have noticed Australian sites, and even GenWestUK is in there! so its horizons are broadening. Cliff Shaw, the creator of Mocavo, says:
"Mocavo.com has the capacity to index every single piece of free genealogy content found anywhere on the web, and will be growing by leaps and bounds in the coming months. We expect Mocavo.com to shortly offer all of the web’s free genealogy information, searchable and accessible to all – something that has never been done before. It’s set to become the go-to search engine for every family history enthusiast.”
There is a paid version (isn't there always?) which offers lots of tools as well as a basic genealogy search engine, and there is the capability to upload GEDCOMs and have it suggest ancestors to you, which makes it sound much more like a site. But I haven't used these, so I cannot comment. What I would suggest is that you head on over and take a look to see if you like it.
- ► 2014 (54)
- A-Z Challenge 2013: Z is for Zachariah Hellier
- A-Z Challenge 2013: Y is for Yoke
- A-Z Challenge 2013: X is for eXtreme Genealogy
- A-Z Challenge 2013: W is for Wessex and Wyverns
- A-Z Challenge 2013: V is for Verderer, Vert and Ve...
- A-Z Challenge 2013: U is for Up-and-down Husbandry...
- A-Z Challenge 2013: T is for Teasel (or Teazel)
- A-Z Challenge 2013: S is for Secretary Hand
- A-Z Challenge 2013: R is for Rebecca Riots
- A-Z Challenge 2013: Q is for Quernstone
- A-Z Challenge 2013: P is for Plough Monday
- A-Z Challenge 2013: O is for Ordeal
- A-Z Challenge 2013: N is for Nuncupative Will
- A-Z Challenge 2013: M is for Mocavo
- A-Z Challenge 2013: L is for Lord of Misrule
- A-Z Challenge 2013: K is for Knobstick Wedding
- A-Z Challenge 2013: J is for Jagger
- A-Z Challenge 2013: I is for Indexing
- A-Z Challenge 2013: H is for Hue and Cry
- A-Z Challenge 2013: G is for Google Alerts
- A-Z Challenge 2013: F is for Farthing
- A-Z Challenge 2013: E is for Engross
- A-Z Challenge 2013: D is for Directories
- A-Z Challenge 2013: C is for Chatham Chest
- A-Z Challenge 2013: B is for Bawdy Court
- A-Z Challenge 2013: A is for Arlee
- ▼ April (26)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
This will be my fourth year participating in the A-Z Challenge. I just love it! Since this is a genealogy blog, I have always taken...
My gg grandfather, John Dunstone AVERY (1835-1903) is listed on several censuses as a Rigger. This was a specialised job (nowadays you need...
I hate actively dislike Evernote. There, I've said it. I started off several years ago with stacks and notebooks and a few ta...