'Avis' appears only a few times in my family tree, and the first time I encountered it I felt it to be a very strange name indeed. This is how it appears:
My 6th great grandmother (maternal) is called Avis - maiden name yet to be determined. She married James STIDSTONE and had at least three children, one of whom she named Elizabeth.
Elizabeth STIDSTONE, christened 13 July 1752 in South Milton, Devon, grew up to marry a man called Hugh HARDEY - and she named one of her daughters 'Elizabeth-Avis' and christened her on 14 June 1789 in Thurlestone, Devon..
When 'Elizabeth-Avis' grew up, she married George STUMBLES - and named one of her daughters 'Avis'.
At least this makes it comfortably easy to follow the family, with such an unusual name!
"The first known form of the name was "Haduwig" (whence modern German "Hedwig"), meaning "refuge in war"; the French form was softened to "Edwige", and in the Norman dialect it became "Havoise". By degrees this was shortened to "Havoisia", "Avicia", "Avice", and finally "Avis". In its variant forms it is frequently found in medieval records, but nowadays only the forms "Avis" and, less commonly "Avice" are found. "Auicia" (without surname) is noted in the Register of St. Benet of Holme, Norfolk (1175), and Ricardus filius (son of) Avice is listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Staffordshire (1332)." [surnamedb.com]
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
I'm getting ready for Cycle 3 of Thomas MacEntee's Genealogy Do-Over. I participated in Cycle 1 back in January 2015, and as I lo...
Here is a photo which I inherited. Don't know the people, do know the location - Kingsbridge, Devon UK. Maybe sometime in the 1930s? ...
Today's "Way Back Wednesday" post is about my gggg grandparents. All I know about them are their names and the date they marr...
- Fearless Females 2014: Education: Family Brides
- Fearless Females 2014: Interaction with children: ...
- Fearless Females 2014: Brickwall: Sarah YEATES 178...
- Fearless Females 2014: Surprising Fact: Where Audr...
- Fearless Females 2014: 6-word memoir: Susan Emma F...
- Fearless Females 2014: Recipe: Mother's Crunchy Nu...
- Fearless Females 2014: Heirloom: The Holly Leaf Br...
- Not-So-Wordless Wednesday: William John BALL and f...
- Fearless Females 2014: Marriage Record: Minda LEY
- Fearless Females 2014: Unusual Name: Avis
- Fearless Females 2014: Photo: Great Aunt Ellen BAL...
- Fearless Females 2014: Favourite Ancestor: Ursula ...
- ▼ March (12)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)