Thursday, 6 March 2014
Fearless Females 2014: Heirloom: The Holly Leaf Brooch
Today's 'Fearless Females' post is supposed to be about a family heirloom which you have inherited. In past years, it has always depressed me when I look at posts by others who have numerous wonderful pieces of memorabilia. And then I realised: an heirloom has to start somewhere, when it is still just a 'thing'.
So I have gone back only one generation: to my mother. She did not have much in the way of jewellery, but one piece I vividly remember: a holly leaf, dipped in bronze, and made into a brooch. There were blobs of bronze to conceal the prickles, and you could even see the veins running through the leaf. Now it nestles in Mother's old red jewellery box, with her peridot ring and cameo necklace.
Several years ago, I wrote my first children's book: 'Blue Ruby', which I dedicated to my mother. In it, Ruby (who is a child herself) has to go on a quest for an heirloom necklace. One of the things she finds to help her
is - yes, you've guessed it - a holly leaf brooch. (And, incidentally, she finds it in a red jewellery box.)
Does Ruby find the heirloom necklace? You'll have to read the book to find out (whispers: pssst! it's available on Amazon in paperback and for Kindle...)
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Like others, I got excited at the prospect of Thomas MacEntee's 'Genealogy Do-Over' , and immediately flung myself into the fir...
Today's "Way Back Wednesday" post is about my gggg grandparents. All I know about them are their names and the date they marr...
I have been 'doing genealogy' for 35+ years (and it shows). I love organising and making lists (and lists of lists, and so on)....
- Fearless Females 2014: Education: Family Brides
- Fearless Females 2014: Interaction with children: ...
- Fearless Females 2014: Brickwall: Sarah YEATES 178...
- Fearless Females 2014: Surprising Fact: Where Audr...
- Fearless Females 2014: 6-word memoir: Susan Emma F...
- Fearless Females 2014: Recipe: Mother's Crunchy Nu...
- Fearless Females 2014: Heirloom: The Holly Leaf Br...
- Not-So-Wordless Wednesday: William John BALL and f...
- Fearless Females 2014: Marriage Record: Minda LEY
- Fearless Females 2014: Unusual Name: Avis
- Fearless Females 2014: Photo: Great Aunt Ellen BAL...
- Fearless Females 2014: Favourite Ancestor: Ursula ...
- ▼ March (12)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)