Thursday 6 March 2014

Fearless Females 2014: Heirloom: The Holly Leaf Brooch


Today's 'Fearless Females' post is supposed to be about a family heirloom which you have inherited.  In past years, it has always depressed me when I look at posts by others who have numerous wonderful pieces of memorabilia.  And then I realised: an heirloom has to start somewhere, when it is still just a 'thing'.

So I have gone back only one generation: to my mother.  She did not have much in the way of jewellery, but one piece I vividly remember: a holly leaf, dipped in bronze, and made into a brooch.  There were blobs of bronze to conceal the prickles, and you could even see the veins running through the leaf.  Now it nestles in Mother's old red jewellery box, with her peridot ring and cameo necklace.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJTZ45U
Several years ago, I wrote my first children's book: 'Blue Ruby', which I dedicated to my mother.  In it, Ruby (who is a child herself) has to go on a quest for an heirloom necklace.  One of the things she finds to help her
is - yes, you've guessed it - a holly leaf brooch.  (And, incidentally, she finds it in a red jewellery box.)

Does Ruby find the heirloom necklace?  You'll have to read the book to find out (whispers: pssst! it's available on Amazon in paperback and for Kindle...)

Once again, in honour of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.  I know this is really US-centric - but that's not going to stop me honouring my own Fearless Females...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive