Is there a female ancestor who is your brick wall? Why? List possible sources for finding more information.
Amanda Malvina LEY, born 28 April 1852 in Eastbourne, Sussex, married Joseph BUCKINGHAM on 21 January 1872 in East Stonehouse, Devon, and died quite young on 21 April 1895 in Plymouth Devon. She had eight children.
So, she doesn't seem much like a brick wall, does she? (apart from the fact that she should appear in the 1881 census as a newlywed, and doesn't appear at all). After all, I have her dates and locations. But have you ever heard of the myth of King Midas, where everything he touched turned to gold? Well, where Amanda (or Minda) is concerned, everybody she touched becomes a brick wall. Husband Joseph, children (especially Annie Marian, my direct line ancestor) were either born, or not born at all, or were born out of wedlock, don't appear in the censuses, and the last two went to Canada as Dr Barnardo's children and never came back. If I knew where to look, these brick walls might not exist.
Oh, Amanda (or Minda, with or without the Malvina)...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 30: Words of Wisdom
- Friday's Faces From the Past: Kingsbridge Fair
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 27: Off to Australia
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 26: Education
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 24: Physical Traits
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 21: Tender Moments in R...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 20: Female Brick Wall -...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 19: Surprising Fact
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 16: Thomasine Dunstone ...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 15: Annie Marian Buckin...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 14: Newsmaker
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 13: Moment of Strength
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 11: Martha Randle and J...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 10: Religion
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 9: Family Documents
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 6: Heirloom
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 3: Mahala
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 2: Photo
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 1: Favourite Female Anc...
- ▼ March (19)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
I first met "Secretary Hand" when I was transcribing a 1700 census for Ottery St Mary (the transcription can be viewed here at ...
There were several types of ordeal to determine whether a person was guilty or not. Prepare to be amazed! 1. Ordeal by fire - walking ove...
Aha! Got you! You thought you knew what 'engross' meant, didn't you? The online Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as "...
My pocket Thesaurus has these words for zealous: Dedicated, determined, devoted, enthusiastic, fervent, passionate, vehement. That...