Sunday 3 March 2013

Fearless Females 2013: Day 3: Mahala



List the most unique or unusual female first name you’ve come across in your family tree.



Mahala EDWARDS 1815 and Mahala Edwards BALL 1854

When I first came across the name 'Mahala' in my family tree, I was not even sure the owner was a female.  I had to do quite a lot of research to find out more about it.  It turns out that it is of Native American origin (although I doubt my very-static ancestors knew that!).




Once again, in honour of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.  I know this is really US-centric - but that's not going to stop me honouring my own Fearless Females...

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating. I have never heard of the name before and it makes you wonder how your ancestors came to choose it.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive