I like to think that Mary Ann Edgcombe EDGCOMBE (my maternal great great grandmother) showed strength during the years 1860 to 1865.
Mary Ann was christened on 19 June 1836 in the small parish of South Milton, Devon, UK. She married her cousin, George EDGCOMBE, on 24 September 1859, and their first child was born a year later. But this baby, James Henry, lived only seven months, and that was only the beginning of the tragedies which Mary Ann suffered.
Noah George, her third child, died of 'convulsions' on 21 January 1865, less than a year old. Her second child (and first daughter), Bertha Ellen, died 3 August 1865 on her fourth birthday from scarlet fever. Mary Ann was seven months pregnant with twins, so she was not allowed to be 'present at the death'.
Poor Mary Ann!
The twins, followed by another James Henry and my ancestor, John Samuel, all lived into old age. But Mary Ann's last daughter, Amelia Agnes, died aged only a week. No wonder Mary Ann died in 1912 from 'exhaustion'!
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
This has to be my favourite address in my family history. Yonder Street, Ottery St Mary, Devon, England was where my MURCH ancestors ...
Right from the word 'go', always quote your source. What is a source? Well, briefly put, it is where you found the information...
Updated once a week, Gravestone Photographic Resource aims to digitally photograph grave monuments (that are currently legible). It covers...
Which paid genealogy tool do you appreciate the most? What special features put it at the top of your list? How can it help others with th...
Imagine you are a lowly servant in a mediaeval palace, castle, or manor house. Christmas is coming - but during the twelve days of Christma...
- ► 2015 (28)
- ► 2014 (54)
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 30: Words of Wisdom
- Friday's Faces From the Past: Kingsbridge Fair
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 27: Off to Australia
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 26: Education
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 24: Physical Traits
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 21: Tender Moments in R...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 20: Female Brick Wall -...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 19: Surprising Fact
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 16: Thomasine Dunstone ...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 15: Annie Marian Buckin...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 14: Newsmaker
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 13: Moment of Strength
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 11: Martha Randle and J...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 10: Religion
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 9: Family Documents
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 6: Heirloom
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 3: Mahala
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 2: Photo
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 1: Favourite Female Anc...
- ▼ March (19)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)