Friday, 1 March 2013
Fearless Females 2013: Day 1: Favourite Female Ancestor
Do you have a favorite female ancestor? One you are drawn to or want to learn more about?
The first female ancestor who really made me want to know more about her was Johanna Murch HAYWOOD (4 Feb 1844-17 Dec 1875). Johanna was my great great grandmother. For a long time, I did not know of her early death, and imagined her to have become a very old granny - and in fact I wanted to become just like her! I was quite shocked when I learned of her death aged only 31, and it just proved to me how close I had become to someone I never knew, and how it was possible to feel that way about an ancestor
Johanna was also my introduction to nonconformity, as she was married "according to the rites and ceremonies of the Independents". I have just completed a Pharos short course on nonconformity, and feel that I am getting ever closer to Johanna.
Once again, in honour of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month. I know this is really US-centric - but that's not going to stop me honouring my own Fearless Females...
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
If you have ever delved into family history, you may well have heard of brickwalls. You may even have come across some of your own. Brickw...
Post a photo of one of your female ancestors. Who is in the photo? When was it taken? Why did you select this photo? This is one of tho...
Following on from last week's "Motivation Monday" post about NOT using the scattergun approach, today's "Tuesday'...
Rootstech is a family history conference (one of the biggest there is). It is held in North America (usually in Salt Lake, Utah) during ...
Updated once a week, Gravestone Photographic Resource aims to digitally photograph grave monuments (that are currently legible). It covers...
- ► 2015 (28)
- ► 2014 (54)
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 30: Words of Wisdom
- Friday's Faces From the Past: Kingsbridge Fair
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 27: Off to Australia
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 26: Education
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 24: Physical Traits
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 21: Tender Moments in R...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 20: Female Brick Wall -...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 19: Surprising Fact
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 16: Thomasine Dunstone ...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 15: Annie Marian Buckin...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 14: Newsmaker
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 13: Moment of Strength
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 11: Martha Randle and J...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 10: Religion
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 9: Family Documents
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 6: Heirloom
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 3: Mahala
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 2: Photo
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 1: Favourite Female Anc...
- ▼ March (19)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)