Have you discovered a surprising fact about one of your female ancestors? What was it and how did you learn it?
One of the witnesses to the marriage of my paternal great great grandparents - John HAYWOOD and Johanna MURCH - on 30 September 1869 in Ottery St Mary was a lady called Jane PAGE. I had never heard of her, but thought perhaps she was a friend of the family.
Johanna died young in 1875, aged only 31, from complications following childbirth. John, with three small boys to look after, one of whom was an infant, quickly remarried, this time to a lady called Eliza DREWS. The couple stayed married until Eliza died in 1902, aged 56.
Then the 1911 census was released, and I searched it to find John - only to find that he had married for a third time. I searched other records for his marriage, and found that he had remarried only a year after Eliza had died - to a lady called Jane PAGE, the witness at his first wedding (the one to Johanna). Was she more than just a family friend, then, I wondered? She was born in North London, Middlesex. What was she doing in Devon?
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Another great-aunt, but this time she is my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-aunt. Her name was Wilmot BASTONE, and she was christ...
Queries. Something else we all have (as well as the 'kith and kin' I posted about a while back). But what is the best way of ge...
Following on from the popularity of my 'genealogical trivia' theme for the A-Z Challenge, I am going to continue on. Not at the f...
Have you heard of the FamilySearch Wiki? I had, but assumed it was not much more than a blog. But actually it is so much more. You go ...
This isn't a post with a strange word you never heard of that starts with 'X'. Nor is it a post about a word which just hap...
- ► 2015 (28)
- ► 2014 (54)
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 30: Words of Wisdom
- Friday's Faces From the Past: Kingsbridge Fair
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 27: Off to Australia
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 26: Education
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 24: Physical Traits
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 21: Tender Moments in R...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 20: Female Brick Wall -...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 19: Surprising Fact
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 16: Thomasine Dunstone ...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 15: Annie Marian Buckin...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 14: Newsmaker
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 13: Moment of Strength
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 11: Martha Randle and J...
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 10: Religion
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 9: Family Documents
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 6: Heirloom
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 3: Mahala
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 2: Photo
- Fearless Females 2013: Day 1: Favourite Female Anc...
- ▼ March (19)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)