King's Evil is another name for scrofula - a disease of the lymphatic glands, specifically tuberculosis of the neck. This disease was similar to consumption, and quite a large proportion of those infected (who also died) were under fifteen years of age.
And the cure for this disease? Historically, it was believed that the touch of the reigning monarch was the 100% cure. Originally, the king would wash the diseased parts, but later it became merely the king's touch which would effect the cure. Then the cured sufferer would be given a 'touch-piece', or gold medal. In order to apply for the touch, the sufferer would have to bring a certificate from the local vicar and churchwardens to state that they had not had 'the touch' before. Most of the touchings were performed in London, with Queen Anne being the last monarch to provide the touch.
- ► 2013 (73)
- A-Z Challenge: Z is for ZZZZs
- A-Z Challenge: Y is for Yeoman
- A-Z Challenge: X is for eXtreme Genealogy
- A-Z Challenge: W is for Window Tax
- A-Z Challenge: V is for Villein
- A-Z Challenge: U is for United Kingdom
- A-Z Challenge: T is for Time Immemorial
- A-Z Challenge: S is for Scanfest
- A-Z Challenge: R is for Ragged Schools
- A-Z Challenge: Q is for Quarter Days
- A-Z Challenge: P is for Plymouth
- A-Z Challenge: O is for Online Parish Clerk
- A-Z Challenge: N is for Noble
- A-Z Challenge: M is for Monumental Inscription
- A-Z Challenge: L is for Lammas
- A-Z Challenge: K is for King's Evil
- A-Z Challenge: J is for Journeyman
- A-Z Challenge: I is for Indenture
- A-Z Challenge: H is for Hiring Fairs
- A-Z Challenge: G is for GeneaBloggers
- A-Z Challenge: F is for Franking of Letters
- A-Z Challenge: E is for Englishry
- A-Z Challenge: D is for Daughter-in-Law
- A-Z Challenge: C is for Certificates
- A-Z Challenge: B is for Brickmaking
- A-Z Challenge: A is for April's A-Z Challenge
- ▼ April (26)
- ► 2011 (53)
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
I first met "Secretary Hand" when I was transcribing a 1700 census for Ottery St Mary (the transcription can be viewed here at ...
There were several types of ordeal to determine whether a person was guilty or not. Prepare to be amazed! 1. Ordeal by fire - walking ove...
Aha! Got you! You thought you knew what 'engross' meant, didn't you? The online Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as "...
My pocket Thesaurus has these words for zealous: Dedicated, determined, devoted, enthusiastic, fervent, passionate, vehement. That...