Hiring Fairs were usually held annually in market towns. They were set up to enable employers to find employees (and vice versa, of course) - usually domestics and farm labourers. If your ancestors were in one place for a long time, then suddenly moved, it may well have been because they had been attracted to a nearby Hiring Fair, the husband (usually) got hired some way away, and so the whole family moved. Maybe your ancestor was a single man when he went to a Hiring Fair, then he was hired, found a wife locally, and settled down - and thus, your ancestors moved.
One of the most well-known Hiring Fairs appear in the novels of Thomas Hardy, such as Far From the Madding Crowd, The Mayor of Casterbridge, and the most well-known of all: Tess of the d'Urbervilles.
- ► 2013 (73)
- A-Z Challenge: Z is for ZZZZs
- A-Z Challenge: Y is for Yeoman
- A-Z Challenge: X is for eXtreme Genealogy
- A-Z Challenge: W is for Window Tax
- A-Z Challenge: V is for Villein
- A-Z Challenge: U is for United Kingdom
- A-Z Challenge: T is for Time Immemorial
- A-Z Challenge: S is for Scanfest
- A-Z Challenge: R is for Ragged Schools
- A-Z Challenge: Q is for Quarter Days
- A-Z Challenge: P is for Plymouth
- A-Z Challenge: O is for Online Parish Clerk
- A-Z Challenge: N is for Noble
- A-Z Challenge: M is for Monumental Inscription
- A-Z Challenge: L is for Lammas
- A-Z Challenge: K is for King's Evil
- A-Z Challenge: J is for Journeyman
- A-Z Challenge: I is for Indenture
- A-Z Challenge: H is for Hiring Fairs
- A-Z Challenge: G is for GeneaBloggers
- A-Z Challenge: F is for Franking of Letters
- A-Z Challenge: E is for Englishry
- A-Z Challenge: D is for Daughter-in-Law
- A-Z Challenge: C is for Certificates
- A-Z Challenge: B is for Brickmaking
- A-Z Challenge: A is for April's A-Z Challenge
- ▼ April (26)
- ► 2011 (53)
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
I first met "Secretary Hand" when I was transcribing a 1700 census for Ottery St Mary (the transcription can be viewed here at ...
I found this year's A-Z Challenge (2014) to be the most enjoyable. Not just because of the theme I chose, but because I adopted a diff...
Yes, I admit it: I haven't done any indexing for over a year. So this Event was definitely more of a Challenge for me. What is/was it...
This is the most maternal surname I had for many years: my mother's mother's mother's mother's. And to my delight, the line...