Wednesday 23 April 2014

A-Z Challenge 2014: T is for Transcript

www.a-to-zchallenge.com
You know when you search on a website and it offers you the choice: original image or transcript?  Of course, you will always go for the original image - but don't ignore the transcript.  Transcripts are word-for-word written out (or typed out) versions of the original image.  So when you merrily click on "original image" and find that the handwriting is just too spiky or flowery for you to read - breathe thanks for a transcript.

A "bishop's transcript" is a copy of the original parish register.  From 1598, each parish had to make a yearly copy of all the entries and forward this to the bishop.  Sometimes these can be useful if the parish register was accidentally destroyed or too difficult to read.  You are more likely to find these "bishop's transcripts" earlier rather than later, since the practice tended to fizzle out during the 19th century.

3 comments:

  1. That is great to know and I always look at both. When I went to Ancestry.ca and they had a free preview of marriage certificates I found 11 different ways that my grandmother's maiden name was spelt and I noticed that the transcript(I guess that is what it would be called) was written incorrectly. I could notice in the original written style what it was. It could be that I can read some "foreign" style of writing since my mom is German and they love to have their "M's" and "N's" looking like "V's".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you always look at both. That's what I would recommend.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I never knew the difference between the two. Nice to know that there are options.

    Sean at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive