Monday, 14 April 2014
A-Z Challenge 2014: L is for Legacy
But to really organise things you need a computer - and a computer standalone program. When I say 'standalone', I mean a program which sits on your computer at home and keeps your records, independent of online family trees. They may be great for 'cousin bait', but I would not put my tree 'up there' and keep it as my only record. What happens when there is an electrical storm and the Internet is down?
So which program do you choose? It is down to personal preference. Try before you buy - most of the genealogy software sites have a free trial copy for you to experiment with. Some people swear by RootsMagic Essentials (free). Some like Ancestral Quest Basics (also free; Personal Ancestral File or PAF was developed from this one). But my favourite is LEGACY. You can download it - and it's another free one - and keep your records in it. If you want the DeLuxe version, you can spend money on upgrading later on. I prefer it to the other two I have mentioned because AQ looks a little flat and isn't so colourful, and RM doesn't show stepchildren in one family group (and for me, there was a noticeable learning curve). Legacy is colourful, shows stepchildren, and does so much more, it is delightful.
I would thoroughly recommend Legacy (and I'm not getting paid to recommend them, either. At least, not at the time of writing, I'm not). And once you have downloaded it, check out their free webinars as well!
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Have you ever seen the film 'The Scarlet Letter'? It was adapted from the book by Nathaniel Hawthorne (written in 1850) and i...
Here we go, folks. On your marks...get set...GO TOMORROW! This is the kind of day I love: The Day Before. Christmas Eve. The day ...
Today, archery is practised only by a few, and even then, it is considered to be a sport. Very few people nowadays would consider a bow and...
- A-Z Challenge 2014: Z is for Zealous
- A-Z Challenge 2014: Y is for Ye
- A-Z Challenge 2014: X is for eXpert
- A-Z Challenge 2014: W is for Webinar
- A-Z Challenge 2014: V is for Vital Statistics
- A-Z Challenge 2014: U is for Uncle
- A-Z Challenge 2014: T is for Transcript
- A-Z Challenge 2014: S is for Sources
- A-Z Challenge 2014: R is for Rootstech
- A-Z Challenge 2014: Q is for Queries
- A-Z Challenge 2014: P is for Parish Registers
- A-Z Challenge 2014: O is for ONS
- A-Z Challenge 2014: N is for Nonconformists
- A-Z Challenge 2014: M is for Monumental Inscriptio...
- A-Z Challenge 2014: L is for Legacy
- A-Z Challenge 2014: K is for Kith and Kin
- A-Z Challenge 2014: J is for Jargon
- A-Z Challenge 2014: I is for Indexing - Changing a...
- A-Z Challenge 2014: H is for Half-Baptised
- A-Z Challenge 2014: G is for GenUKI
- A-Z Challenge 2014: F is for FamilySearch
- A-Z Challenge 2014: E is for Elderly Relatives
- A-Z Challenge 2014: D is for Death Certificate
- A-Z Challenge 2014: C is for Census
- A-Z Challenge 2014: B is for Backup
- A-Z Challenge 2014: A is for A-Z Challenge
- ▼ April (26)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)