Tuesday 8 April 2014

A-Z Challenge 2014: G is for GenUKI

www.a-to-zchallenge.com
A visit to GenUKI is a must for every serious researcher of UK-based locations.  It is a massive database of information and links relating to places, names, school records, court records, church records, civil records, directories, probate records - oh, so much!  It calls itself a 'virtual reference library' and, indeed, you can find references to just about anything genealogical at this site.  Contained within its pages are transcribed indexes - and more; pointers to external sites - and more; names of books written about a particular subject - and more.

Whenever someone emails me and asks "where do I start?" I always point them first, to GenUKI, and second, to FamilySearch (which I mentioned yesterday).  Or, first, to FamilySearch, and second, to GenUKI.  The two go hand-in-hand in my opinion.

With GenUKI , you can drill down from country level, to county, to town and even parish.  And it's FREE!

6 comments:

  1. My letter G was for "Genealogy". Quite of few of my family members left different parts of Great Briton

    Came in from A to Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've foward a link to my friend who loves this stuff so hopefully you will pick up to followers for the price of one! So nice to follow and connect with an a to z challenger, and I look forward to more posts. http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for forwarding this on. I will take a look at your blog, as well. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I will check this out because my grandfather was born in Edinborough. It was more a passing through when he was born but it would be neat to see any info on him. he was born in 1874. You are a wealth of information

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are gaining from my posts. If he (and his parents, of course!) stayed for any length of time, maybe his birth was registered in Edinburgh? so you could perhaps see his birth certificate. They might also be on the 1881 census...

      Delete
  4. Found you through the A-Z Challenge. Thanks for the tips. Most of my family are from Australia but many of them originally came from the UK so this site would likely come in handy further down the road.

    Sean at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive