Many, if not most families have a legend that stretches far back linking today's descendants to a noble (or royal) ancestor. When I began researching my family history, it was the Edgcombe family that was my 'noble' link. Stories abounded about lords and owners of the Eddystone Lighthouse and surrounding land.
I couldn't find a single link to these mysterious lords, and when I contacted the Edgcombe Family History Society, they had never heard of my branch of Edgcombes either! I have the sneaking suspicion that I am the product of...well...I'm really not sure. All I know is that Jephtha Edgcombe, born about 1647 in Ringmore, worked the land at Ringmore and Kingston near Ivybridge, and his sons, and his sons' sons, until my great grandfather became a coastguard (like the family he married into). Most of great-grandfather John Samuel's children were born in Ireland while he was stationed there - and several of them emigrated to Australia later in life.
Now there are hundreds of Edgcombes in Australia - so our family is truly worldwide.
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
I'm getting ready for Cycle 3 of Thomas MacEntee's Genealogy Do-Over. I participated in Cycle 1 back in January 2015, and as I lo...
Today's "Way Back Wednesday" post is about my gggg grandparents. All I know about them are their names and the date they marr...
Here is a photo which I inherited. Don't know the people, do know the location - Kingsbridge, Devon UK. Maybe sometime in the 1930s? ...
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)
- Wordless Wednesday: Nicholas Ley 1815-1884
- Sentimental Sunday: My Dad Hated Father's Day
- Surname Saturday: Edgcombe
- Follow Friday: Plymouth Data
- Wordless Wednesday: John Samuel Edgcombe
- Sentimental Sunday: My Grandfather's Sacrifice
- Surname Saturday: Blagdon
- Follow Friday: South Hams Resources
- Wordless Wednesday: Jane Ball Damerell
- Tombstone Tuesday - Jacob and Jane Ball
- Sentimental Sunday: Her Corset Hurt
- Surname Saturday: Ball
- Follow Friday: GenUKI and the Online Parish Clerk ...
- Wordless Wednesday: Minda Mary Edgcombe Ball
- Madness Monday: Keeping it in the family
- Sentimental Sunday: Scrounging Bag
- Surname Saturday: Haywood
- Follow Friday: Births, Marriages and Deaths in the...
- ▼ June (18)