This is indeed a wonderful site for those with ancestors in the southern part of Devon: the South Hams Resources. Ray Osborn of New Zealand has set up a website, and from its description, it is a "...collection of indexes and census transcripts, plus a free lookup service in other census and church registers of all the parishes in the ANCIENT South Hams area of the County of Devonshire."
These indexes, transcripts and lookups are all FREE *one of my favourite words*. They currently cover over parishes, and are a tremendous resource, especially if you have no access to one of the paid-for sites. The site also includes images, links to other relevant sites (such as museums and local heritage centres), directories, and information about parishes that includes names and websites of Online Parish Clerks (which I wrote about last Follow Friday).
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Queries. Something else we all have (as well as the 'kith and kin' I posted about a while back). But what is the best way of ge...
Another great-aunt, but this time she is my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-aunt. Her name was Wilmot BASTONE, and she was christ...
You have traced your ancestors back using birth, marriage, and death certificates - which go back to 1837. You have followed them throug...
You may not think that a yoke is a very genealogical thing - but I have linked it to my ancestors, who were most of them agricultural lab...
My nickname when I was small was Posy - from Rosy-Posy, I suppose (my proper name is Rosamund). But the very best nickname in my family was...
- ► 2015 (28)
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)
- Wordless Wednesday: Nicholas Ley 1815-1884
- Sentimental Sunday: My Dad Hated Father's Day
- Surname Saturday: Edgcombe
- Follow Friday: Plymouth Data
- Wordless Wednesday: John Samuel Edgcombe
- Sentimental Sunday: My Grandfather's Sacrifice
- Surname Saturday: Blagdon
- Follow Friday: South Hams Resources
- Wordless Wednesday: Jane Ball Damerell
- Tombstone Tuesday - Jacob and Jane Ball
- Sentimental Sunday: Her Corset Hurt
- Surname Saturday: Ball
- Follow Friday: GenUKI and the Online Parish Clerk ...
- Wordless Wednesday: Minda Mary Edgcombe Ball
- Madness Monday: Keeping it in the family
- Sentimental Sunday: Scrounging Bag
- Surname Saturday: Haywood
- Follow Friday: Births, Marriages and Deaths in the...
- ▼ June (18)