Friday 31 December 2010

2010 and 2011

I never made genealogy goals before.  I've always just "done genealogy" or "done family history", so the idea of writing down measurable ideas so they aren't just dreams is...strange to me.  Yet the more I think about it, the more sensible the whole thing feels.  But when I try and come up with some goals: hmmm, I'm not sure.

I've always hated making measured, statistical goals.  You know, like "I will do x number of things in a month" and so on.  So much can interfere with this sort of goal, so much that is totally out of my control.  Even the weather can alter things hugely.  Example: I was all primed to get my electricity key meter charged up before Christmas, have my Christmas decorations at work down before I left for the holidays - and what happened?  Sudden snowfall.  I couldn't get to the key meter shop; I couldn't get to work to take the decorations down.  So what would have happened to my goals?  I would have ended 2010 with the feeling of failure.  So I'm not going to make the sort of goals that say I'm going to do something by such-and-such a date.  My goals will be "throughout the year" or "at some point during 2011".

#  Volunteer to index for FamilySearch
#  Write this blog more than once a week
#  Now I have a Kindle, investigate genealogy books I can acquire (preferably for free)
#  Add some more to my family history writing project
#  Write another College of Genealogy course
#  Get back on the Flylady wagon and create a genealogy routine
#  I am sure there will be others...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive