Thursday 3 January 2013

Thankful Thursday: The Unique Heritage of Modbury

I have been researching my family history for 35 years.  At first, there was discovery after discovery - because, after all, I was only beginning and there was a lot 'out there' to know.  Since then, my research journey has mostly been desultory, with the (very) occasional triumph, but mostly a name here, a date there, and many moons in between when there was nothing at all.

So you can imagine my joy when I found The Unique Heritage of Modbury.  In fact, I can't even remember how I found it.  I only had one or two ancestors from Modbury itself, so I didn't think that I would necessarily be that interested in what I found - if there was anything there.

This site is a Community Heritage Project, which has been funded by the Local Heritage Initiative, Lottery Fund, administered by The Countryside Agency, with additional funding from the Nationwide Building Society.  From its main page, you can see what is contained therein:
  • A comprehensive database of historic information and parish records, provided by the Modbury History Society.
  • A selection of historic photographs from the Modbury Baker Collection that is currently held in the West Devon Records Office.
  • A record of the historic town sites in Modbury that have been identified with mounted plaques.
  • A Time Line exhibition of ten panels of Modbury Heritage Topics.
Of course, it was the 'comprehensive database' which piqued my interest, and when I looked at it - gosh!  There are transcriptions of baptism registers and monumental inscriptions, old maps, publications for order, and a catalogue of archived documents.  Because of the transcription, I have been able to take one of my family lines back to Emanuel BEERE, born about 1590, and his wife Ursula TWIGGES, born about 1587.  The couple were married 23 July 1610.  Emanuel and Ursula are my 10th great grandparents - not the 10th ones I have found, but my great great great great great great great great great greats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews