This is a project run by the University of Leicester, and is located at the Historical Directories website.
This site contains many databases and a powerful search engine. It says on their site that the project is "a digital library of local and trade directories for England and Wales, from to . It contains high quality reproductions of comparatively rare books, essential tools for research into local and genealogical history."
The directories come from all over England and Wales from the 1850s, 1890s., and 1910. They are working on directories from pre-1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, and 1900s.
And my favourite thing about it? It's FREE!
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
I have to keep to a routine. I have four surname studies, one One-Place study, ten websites/blogs, my own genealogy, a Facebook group - a...
You have traced your ancestors back using birth, marriage, and death certificates - which go back to 1837. You have followed them throug...
You may not think that a yoke is a very genealogical thing - but I have linked it to my ancestors, who were most of them agricultural lab...
My nickname when I was small was Posy - from Rosy-Posy, I suppose (my proper name is Rosamund). But the very best nickname in my family was...
This isn't a post with a strange word you never heard of that starts with 'X'. Nor is it a post about a word which just hap...
- ► 2015 (28)
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)
- Way Back Wednesday: Robert MURCH 1687
- Sentimental Sunday: I Want You to Have It
- Surname Saturday: Nott and Naming Traditions
- Follow Friday: Random Acts of Genealogical Kindnes...
- Way Back Wednesday: A New Beginning
- Sentimental Sunday: There She Is
- Surname Saturday: Hall
- Follow Friday: Historical Directories
- Maritime Monday: Ships of the East India Company
- Sentimental Sunday: Hercules was my uncle
- Surname Saturday: Yates or Yeats or Yeates
- Follow Friday: Online Genealogy Lessons from Pharo...
- Wordless Wednesday: Ralph Francis Ley
- Maritime Monday: RNLI - Forever by the Sea
- Surname Saturday: Ley
- Follow Friday: The National Wills Index (UK)
- ▼ September (16)