This is a project run by the University of Leicester, and is located at the Historical Directories website.
This site contains many databases and a powerful search engine. It says on their site that the project is "a digital library of local and trade directories for England and Wales, from to . It contains high quality reproductions of comparatively rare books, essential tools for research into local and genealogical history."
The directories come from all over England and Wales from the 1850s, 1890s., and 1910. They are working on directories from pre-1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, and 1900s.
And my favourite thing about it? It's FREE!
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Thomas MacEntee's proposal of a Genealogy Do-Over starting 2 January 2015 and continuing for 13 weeks is one which has captured the im...
Right from the word 'go', always quote your source. What is a source? Well, briefly put, it is where you found the information...
You may have heard of Wessex before, and various companies in the southwest of England are trying to resurrect it, mostly by using the word ...
Zachariah HELLIER is the latest addition to my family tree. Well, I say 'addition' - he was born in around 1790, and married my pat...
Which paid genealogy tool do you appreciate the most? What special features put it at the top of your list? How can it help others with th...
- ► 2015 (28)
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)
- Way Back Wednesday: Robert MURCH 1687
- Sentimental Sunday: I Want You to Have It
- Surname Saturday: Nott and Naming Traditions
- Follow Friday: Random Acts of Genealogical Kindnes...
- Way Back Wednesday: A New Beginning
- Sentimental Sunday: There She Is
- Surname Saturday: Hall
- Follow Friday: Historical Directories
- Maritime Monday: Ships of the East India Company
- Sentimental Sunday: Hercules was my uncle
- Surname Saturday: Yates or Yeats or Yeates
- Follow Friday: Online Genealogy Lessons from Pharo...
- Wordless Wednesday: Ralph Francis Ley
- Maritime Monday: RNLI - Forever by the Sea
- Surname Saturday: Ley
- Follow Friday: The National Wills Index (UK)
- ▼ September (16)